Feature Request: Ability to open renamed files

Need Help? Ask your questions here.

Feature Request: Ability to open renamed files

Postby drobb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:03 pm

I have a file name extension conflict on my computer where .bin files are firmware images that default to open with another piece of software, so I've been in the habit of saving ViewMaster job files with the extension .pentalogixbin. This worked fine until today when I upgraded from ViewMasterEZ 9.8.70 to ViewMate Deluxe 11.2.74. Now when I try to open these files, I get a dialog box that pops up saying "Error 28: Cannot determine file type of 'file name here.pentalogixbin'"

I know (obviously) that I can re-name them back to .bin and then I can open them. But I have quite a few of these files under source control in repositories that are now frozen (any of our 'old and finished' work). And it is sort of convenient for me to be able to open these files with a double click and have that .pentalogixbin extension set up so they open by default in ViewMate.

It would be really nice if ViewMate could gain the ability to recognize job files even after the extension has been changed. But I'll admit this isn't a huge deal, and I'll survive even if this feature isn't added.
drobb

Re: Feature Request: Ability to open renamed files

Postby marius » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks for pointing this out.
We will investigate the possiblity to allow this and will let you know.
marius

Re: Feature Request: Ability to open renamed files

Postby marius » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:04 pm

We have changed the software to be able to open renamed .bin files.
This will be available in the next release. If you need a fix earlier you can email support@pentalogix.com and we will send you a beta version of the software with the change.
Naming the PentaLogix job files with the .bin extension was an unfortunate decision, because .bin is a common extension used for other purposes.
By the time that became apparent (a long time ago, when the company was still called Lavenir Technology), it was too late, as there were a lot of .bin CAM jobfiles around.
marius

Return to Support Q&A for ViewMate