modification to SLK file scale

Need Help? Ask your questions here.

modification to SLK file scale

Postby mdub » Tue May 11, 2010 9:30 am

Hello, I'm using ViewMasterEZ V10.6 to modify the silk screen file (.slk) in a gerber set.

I need to change some text in this file. When I do this, then re open the file, it appears the scale of the new file is MUCH bigger than the origional file.

How do i make this modification and not change the scale?
mdub

Re: modification to SLK file scale

Postby mdub » Wed May 12, 2010 7:32 am

i fell this this forum is as worthless as the software right now.
mdub

Postby max » Wed May 12, 2010 8:24 am

Hello,

When you export the file are you using Gerber Extended? This should save the format of the file in a header at the top of the file. When you next import the file, it should appear at the correct scale.

Let us know if exporting as Gerber Extended does not solve the problem.

All the best,

Max
max

Postby marius » Wed May 12, 2010 7:13 pm

To explain why the Gerber data may be imported at the wrong scale:
The coordinates in a Gerber file are integers, such as X1100Y45000 so it is not immediately obvious how they relate to actual units. The way they do is via an "implied decimal point". If the file is in basic Gerber, then there is no information about where the implied decimal point should be and it has to be specified by the user prior to import by using the "Options" button in the import dialog.
This brings up a dialog as shown below with the most important options marked with red arrows:
Snap1.gif

Extended Gerber files have this info in a header and so you don't need to know this info when importing. This is why it is best to export in extended Gerber mode. In addition to file format info, the header also stores D Code shape info.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marius

Return to Support Q&A for ViewMate