How do I reduce the cursor resolution ?

Need Help? Ask your questions here.

How do I reduce the cursor resolution ?

Postby Jeffry » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:19 pm

I have panelized my board using Viewmate Deluxe. On the Vscore layer, I want to add some construction lines outside the panel to emphasize the Vscore line locations. Just some lines 10 mils wide, and 300 mils long.

I am trying to draw the construction lines by drawing an "Orthagonal Trace". I would like to
draw a line between Y coordinates of, for example, 0 mils and 300 mils.

Problem: The X,Y cursor coordinates shown in the lower left of Viewmate have ultra-fine resolution,
such as 300.129 etc. How can I get rid of the ".129" display and make the cursor "snap" to the
nearest complete mil ? All I want to see and use is mils, not 1/1000 of a mil.

I searched the Help file for these words: resolution, or Cursor, or Snap, and I can't easily find how
to do this. Can anyone tell me how to do this ?

Also, in PADs pcb software, you can click on a trace or a line, and press Ctrl-Q and get a Properties box
for the line. You can type in the exact coords and length and edit it right there. Can I do something
similar in ViewMate Deluxe ?
Jeffry

Re: How do I reduce the cursor resolution ?

Postby max » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:23 am

Hello Jeffry,

There are a couple of ways to accomplish what you want. First, you can use the "X" key to move the cursor to an exact location. You can set the coordinate mode to "Absolute" and move to an exact location to start your line. So . . . select"Insert->Trace" and then press the "X" key. Enter the starting coordinates for X and Y. Press "OK" to dismiss the dialog and then press "Enter" to establish the start of the line. Now, you can press "X" again and enter the coordinate for the other end of the line . . . or switch to incremental mode and just move the cursor relative to the start of the line. While using this mode, you may want to dissassociate the mouse movement from the cursor by pressing the "Space Bar". Press the "Space Bar" again to reassociate the cursor with the mouse.

I would probably use the Grid to accomplish what you want. Set the grid resolution for the length of the line that you want o enter . . . for example 0.3" in both X and Y.

Make sure the grid is "fixed". You can press "Shift+G" to toggle between a "floating" grid and an "anchored" grid. When you float the grid, the grid will move with the cursor. Select "Insert Trace". With the grid turned on, move the cursor where you want to start your line. If the grid does not follow the mouse, then press "Shift+G" to float the grid. Now you can press "X" to move the cursor to the starting location (or you can press "A" to align to an existing element). When you have the starting point established, press "Shift+G" again to anchor the grid. Press "Enter" to enter the starting coordinate of the line. Now just press one of the arrow keys to move to the end of the line and press "Enter" again to enter the end point of the trace. Press "Escape" to stop entering the current trace. You can now move to a new location and start another trace. Alternatively, you can also use step-and-repeat commands to enter additional V-Score lines. Investigate the "Shift+K" command to perform the step and repeat functions.

All the best
max

Return to Support Q&A for ViewMate